Trainers, Assessors and Facilitators are a dedicated and committed group of volunteer members, who make a huge contribution to lifesaving. These individual go above and beyond to ensure LSV’s volunteer members have the knowledge, skills and rescue capabilities to provide safe beach environments for Victorian communities and visitors.
- Trainers: Members who are qualified and / or otherwise authorised to deliver training activities on behalf of LSV for accredited training and / or lifesaving awards.
- Assessors: Members who are qualified and / or otherwise authorised to deliver assessment activities on behalf of LSV for accredited training and / or lifesaving awards.
- Facilitators: Members who are qualified and / or otherwise authorised to deliver training and assessment activities on behalf of LSV for accredited training and / or lifesaving award.
This document provides the organisational safety management plan which has been developed to support the safe delivery of training and assessment activities. Please ensure you read through all the requirements and follow any required instructions during the planning and delivery of lifesaving courses in line with the provisions of the resource as well as the LSV Activity Guide.
The Trainer App has been specifically designed to assist LSV Trainers, Assessors and Facilitators, by enabling candidate (daily) attendance, assessment delivery, evidence collection and course validation to occur using a purpose-built training application.
Correct use of the Trainer App will go a long way to reducing the challenges and delays associated with processing candidate awards. View the videos below to learn more:
I want to….
- Home page navigation – Open link
- Download upcoming courses – Open link
- Open a downloaded course – Open link
- Add/remove course candidates – Open link
- Add a candidate hard copy enrolment form – Open link
- Sign in candidates – Open link
- Complete practical assessment checklist – Open link
- Upload assessment evidence – Open link
- Sign off candidate theory papers – Open link
- Trainer / Assessor sign off – Open link
- Validate and upload course evidence – Open link
- Close the app (in the event of an error) – Open link
D9 Trainer Matrix
A Trainer Assessor Facilitator Matrix is required for all Trainers, Assessors or Facilitators delivering accredited courses (i.e. those courses which include units of competency – Surf Rescue Certificate, Bronze Medallion, Resuscitation, First Aid and Advanced Resuscitation Techniques). The matrix is used to collect evidence of a Trainer / Assessor / Facilitator skills and experience associated with the courses being delivered. and should be updated every two years.
An organisational template has been developed to assist with this process and has been broken down into the following sections:
- Section 1: Vocational Qualifications and Licence
- Section 2: Volunteer Skills, Experience and Industry Currency
- Section 3: Professional Development in VET / Training and Assessment
- Section 4: Training Under Supervision
Completed matrix documents and supporting evidence should be submitted to email@example.com, who will review the document and provide feedback. Accredited training and assessment must not be delivered without an approved matrix.
Standard evidence forms have been developed for i) Trainers, ii) Assessors and iii) Facilitators. These forms are jointly completed during supervised training and assessment activities by the trainee and the supervisor. The forms are used as evidence that the supervised member has attended the required number of sessions and successfully fulfilled the obligations of a Trainer, Assessor or Facilitator.
The sign-off of a ‘Trainer – Evidence Form’ or ‘Assessor – Evidence Form’ or ‘Facilitator – Evidence Form’ can only be completed by a person qualified and authorised to deliver the award / qualification being supervised. This includes but is not limited to the Supervisor:
- Being a current member / appropriate age
- Remaining current in the base award / qualification and pre-requisites
- Holding an appropriate Training / Assessment qualification
- Completing the necessary Trainer, Assessor and / or Facilitator Evidence Form
- Completing a D9 Trainer Matrix (accredited training only)
LSV has an obligation to ensure all Trainers and Assessors undertake professional development in both their fields of knowledge and in vocational training and assessment.
To meet the compliance requirements it is necessary to ensure any person delivering training or assessment activities has:
- Vocational competencies at least to the level being delivered and assessed
- Current industry skills directly relevant to the training and assessment being provided
- Up to date knowledge and skills in vocational training and learning that informs their training and assessment
The current Volunteer Training Calendar 2020 is available at Calendar Link
Course safety is paramount to LSV training and assessment activities. The Volunteer Training Handbook provides informaiton and advise on safety requirements inlcuding:
- Training and Assessment Ratios
- Water Safety Ratios
- Equipment Requirements
- Aquatic Activity (Run-Sim-Run) set up
- High Visibility Requirements
- Uniform Requirements
LSV is committed to the process of risk management and requires a risk management process to be undertaken prior to the commencement of all water-based member training activities. A standard risk assessment template has been developed and is available for use on courses.
Alternatively, the SLSA Water Safety App can be used to complete the pre-course risk management process. To get access to the App, please contact your area Volunteer Support Officer.
Become a Trainer or Assessor
Becoming a Trainer, Assessor or Facilitator includes achieving the skills, knowledge and competencies associated with the delivery of lifesaving club activities. The requirements are set out in the Volunteer Training Handbook on a award by award basis. Those wishing to pursue an involvement in training and / or assessment are encouraged to discuss this with their club Chief Instructor, President or authorised delegate. Alternatively, they can contact their Area Training and Assessment Officer or a member of the LSV Volunteer Training department for information and advice.
- Accredited training is nationally recognised training, which includes the issuance of units of competency. This type of training sits under the authority of the Australian Qualifications Framework and is strictly monitored. The outcome of this training for successful members is the issuance of a Statement of Attainment or Qualification.
- Non-accredited training sits outside the scope of the Australian Qualifications Framework and is developed, coordinated and delivered by LSV in partnership with SLSA. The outcome of this training for successful candidates is the issuance of a lifesaving award.
Required Trainer / Assessor qualification include:
- TOC – Training Officer Certificate (Enterprise Trainer – Presenting Skill Set TAESS00014)
- ASC – Assessor Certificate (Assessor Skill Set TAESS00011)
- TAE – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAE40116)
- DIP – Diploma of Vocational Education and Training (TAE50116)
Existing / upcoming opportunities for professional development are set out below.
- 2018 Diploma of VET TAE 50116 – Underway (one group)
- 2018 Cert IV TAE 40116 – Underway (one group)
- 2019 Assessor TAEASS502 (Upskill) – Complete (15 groups)
- 2019 Assessor TAELLN411 (Upskill) – Complete (12 groups)
- 2019 Assessor Skill Set (Upskill) – Underway (three groups)
- 2019 Cert IV TAE 40116 (Upskill) – Underway (one group)
- 2020 Training Officer Certificate (TOC) courses are currently being planned