“Safeguarding Children and Young People is Everyone’s Business”
This page is an information page and will be maintained on a continuous basis, all latest information and resources for staff, volunteers, clubs and licencees will be found in this page.
The Victorian Government announced the introduction of compulsory Child Safe Standards for organisations which work with children in Victoria.
The Standards arose from a key recommendation from the landmark Betrayal of Trust Inquiry and support cultural change across organisations in order to ensure that children are protected from abuse and exploitation by staff and volunteers. The scheme builds on existing policies and procedures already in place to improve capacity and consistency across sectors.
The new Standards are planned to apply to organisations in a two-phased approach:
- Organisations that provide services for children that are government funded and/or regulated (from 1 January 2016)
- Other organisations that provide services for children (from 1 January 2017)
Life Saving Victoria (LSV) and affiliate clubs are part of Phase 2 and will need to fully comply with the Child Safe Standards from 1 January 2017.
LSV is working with Surf Life Saving Australia and the Australian Childhood Foundation to ensure that LSV and clubs are provided with the resources and training to comply with these standards.
Noting, Victoria is the only state that will be legislatively required to meet these standards by 1 January, 2017.
Complying with the standards will be achieved through the development and implementation of the following key outcomes, which LSV will deliver to Clubs to assist with their implementation over the next period;
- Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
- A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
- A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child
- Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children abuse
LSV Commitment Statement
Life Saving Victoria is committed to the Safeguarding of Children and Young People (SCYP) and acknowledges a safeguarding organisation doesn’t just happen; it requires conscious action to protect children from harm.
It is imperative that we provide a safe and supportive environment for children and young people, that focus’ on fun, education and building the confidence of our people through positive learning and development.
LSV’s core values include being open, welcome and inclusive and building stronger and safer communities for everyone. LSV empowers and expects all employees, members, board members, affiliated Clubs, consultants, contractors and licensees, to create and maintain a safe culture for children and young people.
LSV is committed to reducing the risks of abuse and harm to children and young people, and will ensure all staff; members, affiliated Clubs, consultants, contractors and licensees understand and adhere to the SCYP Policy and Procedure, relevant legislation, and statutory requirements.
OUR COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
- We are committed to the safety and well being of all children and young people who access any of our activities, programs, events or services
- We are committed to providing children and young people with positive and nurturing experiences
- We commit to supporting families and communities to promote children and young people’s healthy development and wellbeing
- We will strive to ensure that children and young people are protected and are not exploited, abused or harmed during their involvement with any of our activities, programs, events or services
- We will listen to children and young people and empower them by taking their view seriously and address any concerns that they raise with us
OUR COMMITMENT TO PARENTS AND CARERS
- We are committed to supporting parents and carers to protect their children. We will offer assistance that builds on a family’s strengths and empowers them to meet the changing needs of their children.
- We are committed to communicating honestly and openly with parents and carers about the wellbeing and safety of their children
- We will promote and distribute information about this Child Protection Commitment Statement to children and young people and parents/carers as part of an introduction to our services and programs.
- We commit to transparency in our decision-making with parents and carers as long as doing so does not compromise the safety of children and young people or breach any confidentiality obligations.
- We will work to create an environment in which children and young people are safe and feel safe in any of our program, activities, and/or events
OUR COMMITMENT TO LSV PEOPLE
- We commit to a management structure that supports and develops staff in their roles
- We commit to providing all LSV people with the necessary support to enable them to fulfil their roles. This will include regular and appropriate development opportunities and supervision.
- We commit to providing regular opportunities to clarify and confirm policy and procedures in relation to children and young people protection and welfare.
- We commit to regular training with regards to understanding the principles and intent of the Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy
- We commit to listen to all concerns voiced by LSV people in regards to keeping children and young people safe from harm.
- We are committed to providing a robust reporting mechanism for all LSV people for any concerns around the safety or well being of children and young people.
- We commit to provide opportunities for LSV people to receive the most appropriate support, which may include formal debriefing and counselling arising from incidents of child and young person abuse.
OUR COMMITMENT TO ENSURING A CHILD SAFE ORGANISATION
- We are committed to using good practice standards in the recruitment, screening and employment of LSV people, so as we protect from harm, abuse or exploit children and young people who are involved in our events, programs, services or activities.
- We commit to creating an environment for children and young people to be safe and to feel safe in any of our programs, activities or events.
Latest New, Training and Resources;
Check back soon.