QUESTIONS – BEFORE THE COURSE
Q.How can I book my course?
A.The fastest way to book a course is on the LSV website www.lsv-from-anywhere.com.au/training.
Alternatively you can call our team on 03 9676 6901.
Q.I wish to book online or over the telephone. Do I need a credit card?
A.Yes, the only way you can book online or over the phone is with a credit card.
Q.How do I get to the LSV State Centre?
A.Address – 200 The Boulevard, Port Melbourne, VIC, 3207
Car – Limited parking is available at LSV and surrounding streets
Bus – Sandridge Life Saving Club (stop ID 7637) is the closest bus stop to LSV. Allow a 2 minute walking time.
Tram – Beacon cove (stop ID 129) is the closest tram to LSV. Allow a 15 minute walking time
Q.My qualification has expired. Can I do an update course or do I have to do a full course?
A.You can do an update course if you have maintained the required skills and knowledge from the full course. However, if your award has expired some years ago, please contact LSV prior to booking into a course.
Q.Are there pre-requisites for my chosen course?
A.LSV requires course participants to maintain the below pre-requisites for the applicable course:
- Pool Lifeguard – HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
- Operate an Automated External Defibrillator in an Emergency – PUAEME001B Provide Emergency Care or HLTFA211A Provide Basic Emergency Life Support.
- Community Surf Life Saving Certificate – HLTAID003 Provide First Aid.
- Update / refresher – Full qualification of the applicable course.
Q.I have an overseas pool lifeguard qualification. Can I use this to become a pool lifeguard in Australia?
A.As a Registered Training Organisation we can only provide credit transfer and hence recognition for current qualifications issued by an Australian training provider. However, you can demonstrate your knowledge, skills and abilities through our recognition of prior learning process.
QUESTIONS – DAY OF THE COURSE
Q.What happens if I am sick and cannot attend my course?
A.At any time (week day or weekend), you must contact LSV on 03 9676 6901 to advise of your illness. On receipt of a doctor’s certificate our team will book you into another course. Refunds cannot be provided if LSV are not advised of illness prior to the course.
Q.What happens if I am running late for my course?
A.At any time (week day or weekend), you must contact LSV on 03 9676 6901 to advise of your lateness. Given the importance of attending all aspects of the course, lateness may result in a candidate not having the knowledge to complete the assessment items. Given the nature of the different training courses, all LSV trainers are able to turn away candidates where the lateness will have an impact on the candidates that did arrive on time.
QUESTIONS – AFTER THE COURSE
Q.When will I get my certificate / award?
A.LSV has 30 days to process certificates, although strive to complete this much faster. LSV recently introduced emailing out candidate certificates to speed up this process.
Q.How long is my course qualification valid for?
A.LSV recommend that participants complete courses on the following frequencies:
- Pool Lifeguard – Every 1 year.
- Bronze Medallion – Every 1 year.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation – Every 1 year.
- Community Surf Life Saving Certificate – Every 1 year.
- Defibrillation – Every 1 year.
- Hydrotherapy Rescue Award – Every 1 year.
- Emergency Asthma Management – Every 3 years.
- Management of Anaphylaxis – Every 3 years.
- Provide First Aid – Every 3 years (you must maintain a valid CPR certificate).
- Emergency First Aid – Every 3 years (you must maintain a valid CPR certificate).
Q.Is there anything I need to do after completing my course to maintain my qualification?
A.LSV recommends that all participants maintaining qualifications keep evidence of the maintenance of the skills and knowledge. This may include in-house training, use of knowledge for committee or organisational use and practical implementation of the skills set learnt.