Life Saving Victoria is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of all its members and is dedicated to providing a best practise approach to ensure a safe environment for those participating in lifesaving activities.
Life Saving Victoria is a unique organisation that has multiple purposes including community service, sporting, education and leadership opportunities and programs. Each of these individual aspects inter-relate with each other. It is due to the multifaceted nature of Life Saving Victoria, that members 18 years of age and over interact with children across a broad spectrum of activities, that this policy must be broadly applied.
To request support regarding a member protection issue please email firstname.lastname@example.orgWWC Check FAQs
Complaints Handling Policy
Complaints Handling Process
Complaints Support Form
Upcoming Training Opportunities:
Please see link for a number of upcoming workshop opportunities, these workshops are intended to assist club officers to undertake and be confident in their roles. Member Welfare Training Opportunities please refer to the development section.
Safeguarding Children and Young People is Everyone’s Business
This page is an information page and will be maintained on a continuous basis, all latest information and resources for staff, volunteers, clubs and licencees will be found here.
The Victorian Government announced the introduction of compulsory Child Safe Standards for organisations which work with children in Victoria.
The Standards arose from a key recommendation from the landmark Betrayal of Trust Inquiry and support cultural change across organisations in order to ensure that children are protected from abuse and exploitation by staff and volunteers. The scheme builds on existing policies and procedures already in place to improve capacity and consistency across sectors.
LSV continues to work with Surf Life Saving Australia, the Australian Childhood Foundation and other Community organisations to ensure that LSV and clubs are provided with the resources and training to comply with these standards.
- Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
- A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
- A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children
Life Saving Victoria Commitment Statement
Life Saving Victoria is committed to the Safeguarding of Children and Young People (SCYP) and acknowledges a safeguarding organisation doesn’t just happen; it requires conscious action to protect children from harm.
It is imperative that we provide a safe and supportive environment for children and young people, that focus’ on fun, education and building the confidence of our people through positive learning and development.
LSV’s core values include being open, welcome and inclusive and building stronger and safer communities for everyone. LSV empowers and expects all employees, members, board members, affiliated Clubs, consultants, contractors and licensees, to create and maintain a safe culture for children and young people.
LSV is committed to reducing the risks of abuse and harm to children and young people, and will ensure all staff; members, affiliated Clubs, consultants, contractors and licensees understand and adhere to the SCYP Policy and Procedure, relevant legislation, and statutory requirements.
Latest News, Training and Resources;
The below resources, updates and news provide club administrators and parents/guardians with the tools they need to build and support a child-safe environment.
Upcoming Training Opportunities:
Please see link for a number of upcoming workshop opportunities, these workshops are intended to assist club officers to undertake and be confident in their roles. Member Welfare Training Opportunities please refer to the development section
The following webinars provide club members and parents/guardians with information, insights and best practice strategies to dealing with Safeguarding Children and Young People related topics.
Club & Member Resources
UNDERSTANDING SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
The Safeguarding Children and Young People Guidelines have been developed to assist all Surf Life Saving members to meet their obligations, specifically relating to children and young people, under the Surf Life Saving Australia Member Protection Policy.
MEMBER PROTECTION POLICY
This Policy aims to assist SLSA to uphold its core values and create a safe, fair and inclusive environment for everyone associated with Lifesaving.
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE RESOURCES
The below resources provide club administrators and parents/guardians with the tools they need to build and support a child-safe environment.
Safeguarding Children and Young People Club Handbook
- SLSA Guidelines
- Worksheet 1 – Make a Commitment
- Worksheet 2 – Follow the Code of Conduct
- Worksheet 3 – Screen and Recruit the Right People
- Worksheet 4 – Educate and Raise Awareness
- Worksheet 5 – Report
- Worksheet 6 – Engage and Communicate
Policies and Information
- Codes of Conduct for Dealing with Children and Young People in position of Authority
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Commitment Statement
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Behavioural Guidelines
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Reporting Process
Templates & Checklists
- Club Checklist
- Volunteer Member Checklist
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Report Form
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Media Consent Form
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Travel Consent Form
- Picking Up and Dropping off Guideline and Approval Form
- LSV Position Description Template
- Strategies for Creating a Child Safe Environment
- Involving Youth and Young People
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Risk Matrix
- LSV Safeguarding CYP Assessment and Control Tool
- Paid Staff Screening Checklist